The secret behind packing
Please use these helpful tips to accelerate your move
(and thus reduce your cost):
- Pack all loose items into boxes and/or bags (this is the single most important step that you can take)
- Arrange to have all your major appliances disconnected and serviced before your moving date.
- Label boxes, especially those holding fragile materials
- Use smaller boxes for books and other heavy items
- Tape shut or shrink-wrap drawers
- Empty the contents of drawers
- Shrink-wrap or protect glass and valuable framed items
- Disassemble your bed-frame, head-board, and foot-board
- Shrink-wrap valuable furniture
- Bag soft items (clothes, bedding, etc.) in kitchen trash bags
- Clear hallways and stairways of obstructions so that large furniture items may be loaded into the truck first
- If possible, pack stereos, TV’s, and computers in their original boxes with their original packing material
- While we do provide shrink wrap, you can save time and money by shrink-wrapping in advance.
- DO NOT over pack boxes.
- Drain gas and oil out power equipment or any storage containers you may have.
Some basic packing tips to keep in mind:
Follow a timetable – people often underestimate how long it takes to pack!
Start with items you won’t need right away, such as belongings stored in the basement, garage or attic
Packing room-by-room will help you stay organized
Establish work areas in each room
As you complete a room, sort packed boxes by weight (light, medium, heavy) to make loading the moving van easier and quicker
Limit cartons to a maximum weight of 50 pounds
For best results, have your mover pack:
Marble or glass tabletops, heavy wall ornaments and mirrors 40″ x 60″ and pianos
Bulky, fragile items like large trophies, statues, chandeliers, etc.